I love Hawai’i, it’s one of my favourite places in the whole world. I love the breathtaking nature there, the amazing sunrises and sunsets. While there I discovered their açai bowls and I kind of became obsessed with them. I had a period in my life after my first visit to Hawai’i when I ate açai bowls every day.
The smoothie part of açai bowl is made with frozen açai, frozen banana, frozen berries and almond milk or coconut water from a young coconut (taste-wise I prefer almond milk over coconut water). You can add additional ingredients to this base like chia seeds or maca powder or baobab powder. For toppings I suggest those that I always chose in Hawai’i when they were available. I like my açai bowl topped with different berries, goji berries and almond butter. But peanut butter sounds good to me too.
Açaí Bowl (V, GF)
- 1 (100g) frozen açaí pack
- 60 g frozen banana
- 60 g frozen blueberries can substitute with blackberries
- 60 g frozen strawberries can substitute with raspberries
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk / unsweetened coconut water from a young coconut
- chia seeds optional add-in
- maca powder or baobab powder optional add-in
- 60 g fresh banana sliced
- fresh strawberries
- fresh blueberries
- fresh blackberries
- fresh raspberries
- your favourite granola make sure it's vegan; gluten free if needed
- dried goji berries
- desiccated coconut
- 18 g (1 tbsp) almond butter or peanut butter more if desired
- Mix all ingredients for the smoothie in a blender. Add also optional add-ins, like chia seeds and maca or baobab powder.
- Transfer the smoothie into a bowl.
- Decorate the top of the smoothie with desired toppings. Add more or less depending on your preference.