I love Hawai’i, it’s one of my favourite places in the whole world. I love the breathtaking nature there, the amazing sunrises and sunsets. While there I discovered their açaí bowls and I kind of became obsessed with them. I had a period in my life after my first visit to Hawai’i when I ate açaí bowls every day.
The smoothie part of açai bowl is made with frozen açaí, frozen banana, frozen berries and almond milk. For toppings I suggest those that I always chose in Hawai’i when they were available. I like my açaí bowl topped with fresh banana, granola, different fresh berries, dried goji berries, desiccated coconut and almond butter.
During my last visit to Hawai’i I came upon Kula bowls in Big Island which served the most amazing açaí bowls. One of the things they did differently is they used wild blueberries that were so much better in taste than regular ones. If you can get your hands on wild blueberries, do add them to your açaí bowl.
More delicious berries recipes:
Açaí Bowl (V, GF)
- 1 (100g) frozen açaí pack
- 60 g (half a) frozen banana
- 60 g frozen blueberries can substitute with blackberries
- 60 g frozen strawberries can substitute with raspberries
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- a few slices of fresh banana
- a handful of fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
- a generous sprinkle of your favourite granola make sure it's vegan; gluten free if needed
- a sprinkle of dried goji berries
- a sprinkle of desiccated coconut
- almond butter
- Mix all ingredients for the smoothie in a blender.
- Transfer the smoothie into a bowl.
- Decorate the top of the smoothie with desired toppings. Add more or less depending on your preference.