I love eating a variety of beans. So I wanted to move forward from having just chickpea hummus as a dip or spread of choice. I created this bean dip where you can rotate between different beans. The taste works with all of them. Unlike hummus where tahini is the seed butter that brings that amazing taste, cashew butter is used here. My favourite beans for this dip are pinto followed by black-eyed peas.
This dip is rich and creamy and very easy to make. Just put all ingredients in the food processor and you have a great snack ready to eat. You can spread it on bread, eat it with vegetables or have it as a side with cooked and roasted vegetables or in a buddha bowl.
Bean Dip (V, GF)
- 1 can beans pinto beans, black-eyed peas, butter beans, cannellini beans, haricot beans, edamame, chickpeas (around 240g after discarding the liquid)
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp water
- roasted and crushed walnuts or pistachios optional
- Discard the liquid* from a can of chosen beans.
- Put all ingredients (except optional roasted nuts) in a food processor. Blend well until you get the consistency of a dip.
- If you wish you can add to the dip some roasted and crushed pistachios (for edamame) or walnuts (for all other beans).