The inspiration for this recipe comes from my trip to New Zealand. My husband and I were on a long road trip across the country and stopped at a restaurant/store called Chantal Organics. I ordered a bircher muesli and it was amazing. Not just the taste but also their presentation of the dish.
I love adding ingredients with lots of protein content so I got the idea of using silken tofu instead of plant based yoghurt in my bircher muesli. It turned out great and you can’t really taste the difference, it just adds a creamy texture.
This is my take on this classic dish with all the beautiful fruits that I love. Of course you can personalise it in many ways, substitute the toppings with other fresh or dried fruits, other nuts and seeds.
More delicious breakfast recipes with silken tofu:
Bircher Muesli with Silken Tofu (V, GF)
- 50 g porridge oats (I used Nairns Gluten Free Scottish Porridge Oats)
- 125 g apple grated with skin on
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 125 g silken tofu
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- 5 g dried goji berries
- 5 g dried black currants
- 2 sliced fresh figs divided (or use dried ones if fresh not available)
- 25 g pomegranate seeds divided
- 5 g pistachios
- 3 g halved almonds optional roasted (or use pulp from making almond milk)
- 7 g halved hazelnuts optional roasted (or use pulp from making hazelnut milk)
- 3 g (1 tsp) hulled hemp seeds
- 3 g (1 tsp) golden flax seeds
- 5 g buckwheat groats (the raw / green buckwheat)
- edible dried or fresh flowers
- Put silken tofu into a blender and mix it until it becomes very smooth. (I usually do this with the whole batch of silken tofu even if I don't use it all in one recipe.)
- In a bowl mix together oats, grated apple (I grate it on the smallest holes of the grater), orange juice, silken tofu, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover and leave in the refrigerator to soak over night.
- The next morning add goji berries, currants, 1 sliced fig, half of pomegranate seeds, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts, hemp seeds and flax seeds then mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate. Sprinkle buckwheat groats, the other half of pomegranate seeds and the other sliced fig around the edges. Decorate with dried and fresh edible flowers.