The inspiration for this recipe comes from my trip to New Zealand. My husband and I were on a long road trip across the country and stopped at a restaurant/store called Chantal Organics. I ordered a bircher muesli and it was amazing. Not just the taste but also their presentation of the dish.
I love adding ingredients with lots of protein content so I got the idea of using silken tofu instead of plant based yogurt in my bircher muesli. It turned out great and you can’t really feel the difference, it just adds a creamy texture.
This is my take on this classic dish with all the beautiful fruits that I love. Of course you can personalize it in many ways, substitute the toppings with other fresh or dried fruits, other nuts and seeds.
Bircher Muesli with Silken Tofu (V, GF)
- 50 g oats (I used Nairns Gluten Free Scottish Porridge Oats)
- 125 g apple grated with skin on
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 125 g silken tofu (I used extra firm silken tofu)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- 5 g dried goji berries
- 5 g dried black currants
- 2 sliced fresh figs divided (or use dried ones if fresh not available)
- 25 g pomegranate seeds divided
- 5 g pistachios
- 3 g halved almonds optional roasted (or use pulp from making almond milk)
- 7 g halved hazelnuts optional roasted (or use pulp from making hazelnut milk)
- 3 g (1 tsp) hulled hemp seeds
- 3 g (1 tsp) golden flax seeds
- 5 g buckwheat groats (the raw / green buckwheat)
- edible dried or fresh flowers
- Put silken tofu into a blender and mix it until it becomes very smooth. (I usually do this with the whole batch of silken tofu even if I don't use it all in one recipe.)
- In a bowl mix together oats, grated apple, orange juice, silken tofu, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover and leave in the refrigerator to soak over night.
- Next morning add goji berries, currants, 1 sliced fig, half of pomegranate seeds, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts, hemp seeds and flax seeds then mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate. Sprinkle buckwheat groats, the other half of pomegranate seeds and the other sliced fig around the edges. Decorate with dried and fresh edible flowers.