I love eating porridge for breakfast, it’s so filling, satisfying and delicious. When I’m traveling and staying in hotels, I’m always so happy if they have an option to make me porridge with plant based milk. If Biscoff caramelized banana overnight oats are my favourite breakfast over warmer months, this Biscoff caramelized banana porridge is a similar alternative for the time in the year when the weather gets cold and my body craves food that can warm me up from inside. Biscoff and banana is by far my favourite combination as a topping for porridge. Two alternatives that are also very delicious are peanut butter and banana or vegan Nutella and banana. When I’m having breakfast in hotels I always go for peanut butter and banana, since it’s the most available of these three options.
To create creamy porridge I’m using soy milk but you can also use any other plant based milk you enjoy. You can cook porridge in plant based milk alone or combine it with water. I add half a cup of water to one cup of soy milk. If you like more liquid porridge you can put more water, up to one cup along with one cup of soy milk. If you use more liquid you may also need to add more sweetener.
Biscoff Caramelized Banana Porridge (V, GF option)
- 100 g gluten free oats I used Nairns gluten free Scottish porridge oats
- 240 ml (1 cup) unsweetened soy milk
- 120-240 ml (1/2 – 1 cup) water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or more if needed
- a drizzle of coconut oil
- 1 banana cut lengthwise
- 20 g Biscoff spread can substitute with peanut butter or vegan Nutella
- Put oats in a pot and pour over soy milk and water. Depending on your preference add more or less water. I like to put less water as I like my porridge less watery.
- Heat it over stove and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove it from the stove and mix in maple syrup. If you decided to put more water perhaps you need to add 1 tsp of maple syrup more to sweeten it enough.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Heat a little bit of coconut oil on the pan and spread it evenly on the surface.
- Cut banana lengthwise and place it on the pan. Cook on medium heat for 2 min then carefully turn both halves around and cook on the other side one minute. Remove from heat and place it on top of porridge.
- Put Biscoff spread in a small pan or pot and melt it over low heat. If you desire you can put more than 20 grams of spread. Drizzle melted Biscoff spread on top of the porridge. You can substitute Biscoff spread with peanut butter or vegan Nutella.
- Serve warm.