Börek is a pastry dough type of dish that can be filled with different things. In Slovenia it’s a very popular street food. My favourite börek before I became vegan was with cottage cheese. I’ve created a vegan substitute for a real cottage cheese, which I use in this dish. I love my homemade börek and I can truly say that it tastes as good as the original cottage cheese börek.
Some böreks can be very greasy. My recipe uses enough vegan butter that satisfies my taste but it’s not overly greasy. If you desire more vegan butter in your börek feel free to add it.
I like to make my börek also with homemade soy yogurt but you can substitute it with a store bought soy yogurt.
Börek with Vegan Cottage Cheese
- 9 sheets phyllo dough (if your store has an option of a thinner one and a thicker one, choose the thin one)
- 115 g melted vegan butter (or more if desired)
- 1125 g vegan cottage cheese
- 225 g vegan sour cream (recipe below)
- pinch of salt to taste
Sour cream for the filling:
- 215 g (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) unsweetened soy yogurt (I make my own at home)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 1/5 tsp salt
Sour cream for the topping:
- 145 g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) unsweetened soy yogurt (I make my own at home)
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- First prepare vegan cottage cheese 24 hours before by following these instructions. You will need about 4x of this recipe.
- If you are using homemade soy yogurt for the sour cream, you also have to prepare it in advance (about 12 hours before). You can find the instructions here. You will need about half of this recipe for börek.
- When your vegan cottage cheese and soy yogurt are prepared you can start making börek. First take out the phyllo dough from the freezer about half an hour before you start working on other ingredients.
- Put vegan cottage cheese in a bowl, add ingredients for the sour cream (for the filling) and additional salt (I put heaped 1/3 tsp). Mix together.
- In a separate bowl mix together ingredients for the sour cream that goes on top.
- Melt vegan butter over low heat.
- Line 26 cm round baking dish with a baking paper and preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- When phyllo dough is defrosted enough so you can work with it, take the first sheet and spread it generously with vegan butter. Over that sheet put another sheet and spread it again generously with vegan butter. Then take the third sheet, put it over buttery sheet and spread generously with vegan butter once more. Take the bowl with cottage cheese and sour cream mixture. Spread 1/3 of it over the top buttery sheet. Then start rolling the sheets and continue to spread every dry piece that comes to the top while rolling. Gently lift the rolled dough and place it in the middle of a baking dish in a spiral.
- Repeat the whole last step two times more. When you put the next rolled dough into baking dish, start where the first dough has finished so that all three rolls together in the end create one big spiral.
- Drizzle sour cream for the topping on top of the dough and spread it equally so that all of the dough is well covered.
- Bake for about an 1 hour. It's done when the top is golden brown.
- Leave it to cool for about an hour or so. It's better to eat it when it has cooled a little bit.
- You can serve it with unsweetened soy yogurt. I usually don't need it though.