Burek is a pastry dough type of dish that can be filled with different things. In Slovenia it’s a very popular street food. My favourite burek before I became vegan was with cottage cheese. I’ve created a vegan substitute for a real cottage cheese, which I use in this dish. I love my homemade burek and I can truly say that it tastes as good as the original cottage cheese burek.
Some bureks can be very greasy. My recipe uses enough vegan butter that satisfies my taste but it’s not overly greasy. If you desire more vegan butter in your burek feel free to add it. I like to make my burek also with homemade soy yoghurt but you can substitute it with a store bought soy yoghurt.
More delicious recipes with vegan cottage cheese:
- Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
- Vegan Layered Strudel Cake (veganska prekmurska gibanica)
- Vegan Crepes with Strawberry Jam and Vegan Cottage Cheese
- Vegan Cottage Cheese and Vegan Honey Toast
Burek with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganski sirov burek)
- 9 sheets phyllo dough (if your store has an option of a thinner one and a thicker one, choose the thin one)
- 115 g melted vegan butter (or more if desired)
- 1125 g vegan cottage cheese
- 225 g vegan sour cream (recipe below)
- heaped 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
Vegan sour cream for the filling:
- 215 g (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) unsweetened soy yoghurt (I make my own at home)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 1/5 tsp salt
Vegan sour cream for the topping:
- 145 g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) unsweetened soy yoghurt (I make my own at home)
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- First prepare vegan cottage cheese 12 hours before you start working on your burek. You will need about 1 batch of the recipe.
- If you are using homemade soy yoghurt for the sour cream, you also have to prepare it 12 hours in advance. You will need about half of this recipe for burek.
- When your vegan cottage cheese and soy yoghurt are prepared you can start making börek. First take out the phyllo dough from the freezer about half an hour before you start working on other ingredients.
- Put vegan cottage cheese in a bowl, add ingredients for the vegan sour cream (for the filling) and additional salt. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl mix together ingredients for the vegan sour cream that goes on top.
- Melt vegan butter over low heat.
- Grease and line 26 cm round baking dish with baking paper. Preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- When phyllo dough is defrosted enough so you can work with it, take the first sheet and spread it generously with vegan butter. Over that sheet put another sheet and spread it again generously with vegan butter. Then take the third sheet, put it over buttery sheet and spread generously with vegan butter once more. Take the bowl with cottage cheese and sour cream mixture. Spread 1/3 of it over the top buttery sheet. Then start rolling the sheets and continue to spread with vegan butter every dry piece that comes to the top while rolling. Gently lift the rolled dough and place it in the middle of a baking dish in a spiral.
- Repeat the whole last step two times more. When you put the next rolled dough into baking dish, start where the first dough has finished so that all three rolls together in the end create one big spiral.
- Drizzle vegan sour cream for the topping on top of the dough and spread it equally so that all of the dough is well covered.
- Bake in the middle rack for 1 hour – 1 hour 10 min. It's done when the top is golden brown.
- Leave it to cool for about an hour. It's better to eat it when it has cooled a little bit.
- Cut 6 equal pieces. Serve them with unsweetened soy yoghurt.