My husband loves Indian food. There is especially one dish that he often makes for us and that is chana masala. Over the years we replaced the chickpeas that are traditionally used in this recipe with many other beans. We like fava beans, black eyed beans, butter beans, red kindey beans and many others. Many of them we actually now prefer it over chickpeas.
Chana Masala and other Masala Beans (V, GF)
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/3 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can of chickpeas (or black eyed peas or fava beans or butter beans or any other beans) without liquid*
- 150 ml (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) tomato sauce
- a splash of water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- Open a can of beans and rinse them with water, throwing away aquafaba or reserving it for some other recipe*.
- Heat avocado oil in a pot. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Wait a little bit then add also red pepper flakes. Cover the pot and wait for the mustard seeds to pop.
- Turn heat to low and add beans of choice. Mix and add tomato sauce, a little bit of water so that it's not too dry. Add also turmeric and garam masala.
- When it's boiling again, turn the heat on low and cook for 10 min.
- Add salt the last minute.