My husband loves Indian food. There is one dish specially that he often makes for us and that is chana masala. Over the years we replaced the chickpeas that are traditionally used in this recipe with many other beans. We like fava beans, black eyed beans, butter beans, red kidney beans and many others. Many of them we actually now prefer over chickpeas.
Serve this dish with some chapati, rice, roasted potatoes or as part of my not so traditional English breakfast.
More delicious chickpeas recipes:
Chana Masala and other Masala Beans (V, GF)
Chickpeas or other beans of choice are cooked in aromatic Indian spices and tomato sauce. This simple dish is full of delicious flavour and is made in just a couple of minutes.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) avocado oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2/3 tsp red pepper flakes
- 480 g (2 cans) chickpeas (or some other beans of choice) without liquid
- 300 g tomato puree (passata)
- a splash of water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- Open cans of beans and rinse them with water, throwing away aquafaba or reserving it for some other recipe.
- Heat avocado oil in a pot. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Wait a little bit then add also red pepper flakes. Cover the pot and wait for the mustard seeds to pop. When they start popping turn heat to low.
- Add beans of choice. Mix and add tomato puree, a little bit of water so that it's not too dry. Turn heat to high again then add turmeric and garam masala.
- When it' starts to boil turn the heat to low and cook for 10 min.
- Add salt the last minute.
- Serve warm with some chapati, rice, roasted potatoes or as part of my not so traditional English breakfast.
*Check my recipe vegan walnut roll (veganska potica) where I use aquafaba (liquid from a can of beans). The best aquafaba for whipping is from a can of chickpeas, black chickpeas and butter beans as it achieves the highest peaks. *Nutrition facts caulculated with chickpeas as beans of choice.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 398kcalCarbohydrates: 54gProtein: 20gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 616mgFiber: 10gSugar: 8g
Did you like this recipe?Tag @WalkingThroughLavenderFields on Instagram or hashtag it #walkingthroughlavenderfields!