I think Baci, which means “kisses” in Italian, is next to Ferrero Rocher one of the really great small treats. Every Baci comes with a little message folded around it. I want to be true to that original idea, so I also love to write little messages when I’m creating these little bliss balls. In this way they can be a really nice surprise for the person you leave the message to.
I use Valsoia vegan chocolate hazelnut spread as filling for this recipe. Into it I mix crushed roasted hazelnuts and I use a whole roasted hazelnut to form the crown of the bliss ball. Then I dip the whole ball into melted chocolate.
Chocolate Hazelnut Bliss Balls, Baci Inspired (V, GF)
- 180 g vegan chocolate hazelnut spread I used Valsoia
- 50 g hazelnuts roasted
- 90 g Lindt 70% melted
- Roast hazelnuts at 180 °C for 10 min. Leave them to cool then rub their skin off with your hands.
- Take 10 hazelnuts and put them aside. They will be used as a crown for the bliss balls later.
- Take the rest of hazelnuts and cut them into small pieces with a knife. Alternatively you can crush them with the back of a fork. Mix chopped nuts into vegan chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Put the mixture in the freezer for about 1 hour.
- When the mixture is hard enough to work with it, take it out of the freezer. Divide the mixture into 10 equal parts. Take one piece and shape it into a ball. Next take one whole hazelnut and gently press it on top of the ball. Repeat with the rest of the pieces and hazelnuts. Put balls in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Dip every ball into melted chocolate so that the chocolate is all around the ball. For a better look help yourself with two little spoons to turn around and carry the balls from chocolate to a plate with a baking paper so you don't leave your fingerprints on the wet chocolate.
- Put bliss balls in the fridge for the chocolate to harden. Meanwhile write your beautiful little messages on pieces of paper to put beside the sweets.
- After the chocolate is set, trim the edges of the bliss balls with a knife where there's excessive chocolate.