I’m always a little bit sad at breakfast in hotels where they have Nutella and I can’t have it because it’s not plant based. Especially since I know how easy it is to make a dairy free version at home.
I’ve created a delicious version of this spread. To make it more healthy I used medjool dates as a natural sweetener. I combined roasted hazelnuts with cocoa powder to get a gentle chocolate flavour and then I added coconut cream for a milky feeling. You can use it as a simple spread on toast or as an ingredient in other sweets (try my Baci, vegan Ferrero Rocher Nutella cheesecake or stuffed medjool dates with vegan Nutella).
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Nutella Inspired (V, GF)
- 150 g hazelnuts roasted
- 9 g (4 tsp) cocoa powder
- 90 g medjool dates
- 150 ml (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) coconut cream* just the cream (without water) from a can of coconut cream
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Roast hazelnuts at 180 °C for 10 min. When they cool down a little bit, rub them with your fingers to peel their skin off. It doesn't have to be perfect, just that you remove the majority off.
- Put hazelnuts in a food processor and blend them so they transform into hazelnut butter.
- Now add all the other ingredients to the hazelnut butter and blend everything together. I left the food processor on medium speed for quite a while so that all the ingredients became very soft and spreadable.
- Pour the content into a bowl and store it in the fridge.