These rice and beans with Indian spices are my husband’s favourite food. It’s a very simple meal that’s prepared with little effort. It’s very satiating, with lots of protein and provides you with the energy for the day.
I’m using brown basmati rice mixed with any beans of choice. I like to rotate between different beans but my favourite for this recipe are black beans. Rice and beans are cooked with avocado oil and aromatic Indian spices into a delicious meal.
More delicious beans recipes:
- Sautéed Leafy Greens and Beans
- Chana Masala and other Masala Beans
- Almond Butter Curry with Sweet Potato, Smoked Tofu, Spinach and Black Eyed Peas
Indian Rice and Beans (V, GF)
- 20 ml (4 tsp) avocado oil
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 200 g brown basmati rice
- 480 g (2 cans) beans of choice
- 480 ml (2 cups) water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Heat oil and toast cumin seeds, mustard seeds and chilli flakes.
- Add rice, beans, water, turmeric powder, curry powder and salt.
- Bring it to boil then put the heat to low and cook for 25 min.
- If there is any water left at the end of cooking, lift the lid and increase the heat a little bit so the water evaporates.
- Divide between two plates and serve warm.