These mashed potatoes are incredibly creamy and pair wonderfully as a side to many other dishes. With only 5 ingredients this is a simple dish to prepare and one you will want to come back for more. Just cook peeled potatoes in water, then mash them and mix with vegan butter, cashews and soy milk. Add salt and it’s done.
If you want to bring some colour to the plate, you can use purple/blue potatoes instead of regular ones. They’re just as delicious. I like to cook purple potatoes over steam so that their beautiful colour doesn’t go into water while cooking.
Mashed Potatoes (V, GF)
- 1 kg potatoes peeled and cubed
- 75 g (5 tbsp) vegan butter or more if desired
- 50 g cashews or more if desired
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) unsweetened soy or cashew milk or more if needed
- 1 tsp salt
- Fill a big pot with water and heat it on the stove.
- While the water is heating peel and chop the potatoes. You will need 1 kg of potatoes after peeling.
- Add potatoes to the pot with water. Bring it to boil then turn to low and cook for 20 min.
- While potatoes are cooking melt vegan butter over low heat.
- Crush cashews in a food processor then add soy milk and mix into smooth consistency. The quantity of cashews and vegan butter stated above are the minimum that I would recommend to get a great creamy taste. If you want a dreamy creamy taste you can put more vegan butter and cashews. I can sometimes go up to 110 grams of vegan butter and 75 grams of cashews. But that of course does make it more caloric.
- After potatoes are cooked, discard the water. Mash potatoes with masher or if you don't have it the back of a fork will work too.
- Add melted vegan butter, cashew mixture and salt to potatoes and mix well. Add more soy milk if needed to get the right consistency that you want.