This cozy oat bran porridge is a great alternative to my regular oat porridge. It leaves me even fuller than oat porridge because it absorbs more liquid than oats and has more fibre. I love the combination of medjool dates as a sweetener and pears or apples as the topping. For the liquid you can choose any plant based milk but I recommend trying roasted hazelnut milk as it gives a special aroma of roasted nuts to this bowl.
You will feel full and satisfied after this breakfast. It has lots of healthy ingredients and it’s a wonderfully warming meal. Perfect for the colder time of the year when you need food that keeps you warm from inside out.
Oat Bran Porridge with Caramelized Pear (V, GF)
- 67 g gluten free oat bran
- 320 ml (1 1/3 cup) unsweetened roasted hazelnut milk or substitute with soy milk, walnut milk
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) water
- 54 g (3 medium sized) medjool dates pitted
- 1/12 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/12 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
For caramelized pear:
- 1 pear or apple peeled and sliced
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) coconut oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 18 g (1 tbsp) hazelnut butter or substitute with almond butter, tahini, pecan butter
- Make homemade roasted hazelnut milk. I added a pinch of salt from the optional ingredients. You can use other plant based milk but roasted hazelnut milk brings a special aroma to this dish.
- After making hazelnut milk, return it to the blender along with medjool dates. Blend together then transfer the mixture to a pot.
- Add to the pot also water and oat bran. Mix together with a spoon.
- Put the pot on the stove and cook until the oat bran absorbs the liquid. That will take just a few minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and add vanilla and cinnamon. Mix together. Transfer the porridge into a bowl.
- Heat pan with a lid and melt coconut oil and maple syrup. Add sliced pear (or apple) and lower to medium heat. Mix well so that the fruit is coated with coconut oil and maple syrup on all sides.
- Cook for 5-10 min, mixing often in between. You want the pear to get really soft.
- After caramelizing is done, add cinnamon and mix well.
- Top porridge with caramelized fruit. Drizzle hazelnut butter on top.