My favourite way of preparing and eating potatoes is to roast them in the oven. They also go extremely well together with many different dishes. Try making them with chana masala or as part of my Not so traditional English breakfast. You can also serve them on the side of a vegan burger for a healthier version of burger with fries. If you want to bring some colour to the plate, you can use purple/blue potatoes instead of regular ones. They’re just as delicious.
Roasted Potatoes (V, GF)
- 650 g young potatoes cubed with skin on
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 10-15 ml (2-3 tsp) olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a sprinkle of fresh rosemary
- Cut potatoes into small bite size pieces.
- Heat a big pot of water until it boils then add baking soda and potatoes. When it boils again let it boil for 2-3 min then turn it off and discard the water. Return potatoes to the same pot over warm but turned off stove and mix with a wooden spoon for 1 min so that potatoes become a little mushy.
- Drizzle olive oil (I would recommed 1 tbsp if potatoes are the main dish and 2 tsp if they are part of many dishes) over potatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix together well.
- Arrange potatoes evenly in one layer over baking tray with baking paper and scatter rosemary on top. Roast at 260 °C for 20-25 min.