When I think of autumn, I think of trees changing colour of their leaves from green to orange and red. I think about the weather getting colder and finding those sweaters again in my wardrobe closet. I think about cozy and warming food and this includes pumpkin recipes. My pumpkin soup fits perfectly with this autumn mood.
When cooking this soup first roast the pumpkin to get that intense pumpkin flavour. Then mix it with coconut milk and other ingredients to get that creamy taste. Gently heat it over the stove and your perfect autumn appetizer is ready.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup (V, GF)
- 1 medium sized pumpkin (hokkaido, red kuri squash) deseeded and cubed with skin on (about 1 kg after deseeding)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coconut oil melted
- 720 ml (3 cups) water
- 400 ml (1 can) full fat coconut milk water and cream (a can where the ratio between water and cream is 50:50)
- salt and pepper to taste
For decoration (optional):
- full fat coconut milk
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- vegan greek yogurt
- coconut yogurt
- pumpkin oil
- After desseding pumpkin, chop it into bite-sized pieces. Put them into a bowl and drizzle coconut oil over them. Mix well.
- Arrange pumpkin pieces on a baking plate lined with baking paper in such a way that they don't touch. Bake at 200 °C for 20 min.
- Transfer baked pumpkin into a blender along with other ingredients for the soup. Mix well.
- Transfer the soup to a pot and heat it over medium heat.
- Divide between 4 bowls. For decoration drizzle some coconut milk, sprinkle some roasted pumpkin seeds, drop a dollop of vegan greek yogurt or coconut yogurt or drizzle some pumpkin oil on top.