If you’re looking for an easy, healthy and delicious recipe, you’ve come to the right place. This dish needs only 4 ingredients (not counting water, salt and pepper), is done in about 10 minutes, consists of super healthy leafy greens and beans and it’s very tasty. It also enables you to use a wide variety of greens and beans so that the dish tastes very different every time. I love beans and greens because of all these reasons.
I’ve tried this dish with different greens: from spinach, Swiss chard, beet greens, collard greens to kale, and with all possible different beans: from chickpeas, black eyed beans, black beans, red kidney beans, adzuki beans to cannellini beans and others. My favourite beans for this dish are chickpeas, pinto beans and fava beans since they add the most creaminess. From leafy greens spinach is really great but the variety of options is the real reason why I don’t get bored of beans and greens.
This is a great main dish on its own but you can serve it also with some warm bread, like Baguette, toasted Oat Bran Bagel, Garlic or Vegan Garlic Cheesy Bread. It can be served alongside vegan sausage or tofu, Teff or Amaranth Polenta, Buckwheat with Peanuts, Vegan Pesto Potatoes or Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
More delicious beans recipes:
- Indian Rice and Beans
- Chana Masala and other Masala Beans
- Almond Butter Curry with Sweet Potato, Smoked Tofu, Spinach and Black Eyed Peas
Sautéed Leafy Greens and Beans (V, GF)
- 480 g leafy greens of choice spinach, beet greens, swiss chard, collard greens, kale
- 10-20 ml (2-4 tsp) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes or to taste
- water as needed
- 480 g (2 cans) beans of choice
- heaped 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
- a pinch of black pepper
- Rinse leafy greens and cut them into smaller pieces. You can use all parts of greens, also the stems.
- Heat olive oil in a pot (use less or more depending on your preference) and toast chili flakes.
- Lower the heat and add leafy greens and a splash of water so that the bottom is not dry. Be careful to not put too much water (so that it doesn't become a soup). If you're using spinach you will need to add it in batches as it takes more volume than other greens when fresh.
- Increase the heat again and bring to boil then lower the heat and cook until leafy greens are softened. Depending on the variety you will need about 3-5 min. The spinach needs just 3 min, while other leafy greens, especially the ones with harder stems need 5 min.
- Open a can of beans and discard the water or save it for some other recipe. Rinse beans under the water.
- Add beans to the pot and cook another minute or two so that the beans get warm.
- Turn the heat off and add salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls.
- This is a great main dish on its own but you can serve it also with some warm bread, like Baguette, toasted Oat Bran Bagel, Garlic or Vegan Garlic Cheesy Bread. It can be served alongside vegan sausage or tofu, Teff or Amaranth Polenta, Buckwheat with Peanuts, Vegan Pesto Potatoes or Vegan Mashed Potatoes.