This recipe can’t be placed in the “simple, quick and just a few ingredients” category. I wanted to create a complex flavour for this dish that wouldn’t fall flat. This requires a variety of ingredients and a long cooking time in order for the ingredients to get infused with all that flavour. So if you’re ready for a more elaborate recipe and have about two hours to spare, I promise you won’t regret making it.
As far as comfort food goes it doesn’t get any better than this ultimate vegan bolognese. I’m using walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, plain firm tofu, brown or green lentils (don’t use red lentils) and soya mince for the meat substitute. My favourite type of pasta is tagliatelle and it fits perfectly here.
More delicious pasta recipes:
Vegan Pasta Bolognese (GF Option)
- 20 ml (4 tsp) olive oil
- heaped 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 (35g) carrot
- 1/2 (35g) celery stalk
- 20 g walnuts
- 4 pieces (30g) sun-dried tomatoes
- 100 g plain firm tofu
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegan red wine I used Chianti Classico by Cecchi 2018
- 1 large or 2 small leaves fresh sage
- 1/2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 sprigs (1/2 tsp leaves) fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 can (400g) peeled crushed or diced tomatoes without salt
- 40 g brown or green lentils
- 30 g soya mince
- water as needed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp molasses or blackstrap molasses
- heaped 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
- 30 g plant based cooking cream I used Valsoia soy based cooking cream
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast I used fortified with B12
- 2 leaves fresh basil
- a pinch of black pepper
- 300 g vegan pasta of choice gluten free if needed
- Prepare all ingredients before starting to cook. Chop carrot and celery with a knife or in a blender. Crush walnuts and tofu with a back of a fork. Chop sun-dried tomatoes in small pieces. Chop oregano, rosemary and cut sage into small strips (chiffonade).
- Heat olive oil in a pot and toast cayenne pepper.
- Add carrot and celery. Mix and toast for a few seconds.
- Add walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes. Mix and toast for a few seconds.
- Add tofu, mix and add wine when tofu starts to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook for a few minutes on high until the wine evaporates.
- Add sage, oregano, thyme and rosemary. Mix together.
- Add tomatoes. Mix and cook on high until the sauce is warm again.
- Add 1/8 tsp of salt at this stage (you will salt it also at the end).
- Add lentils and soya mince. Mix together.
- Add water (I added 240 ml (1 cup)). Bring to a boil then turn to low and cook 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check often during that time and add water as needed. I added additional 120 ml (1/2 cup) after 20 minutes of cooking, 120 ml (1/2 cup) after 40 minutes of cooking and 120 ml (1/2 cup) after 1h of cooking.
- After 1h 20 min of cooking add smoked paprika, soy sauce, molasses and salt (I added 1/4 tsp of salt). Mix together and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add plant based cooking cream, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, basil and pepper. Mix together and cook for 1-2 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- 20 minutes before the cooking of bolognese is done heat a large pot with 3L of water on the stove. Wait for it to boil then add 1 tbsp of salt and pasta (I used tagliatelle). Bring to boil again then turn to medium heat and cook as per instructions on the pasta box.
- Drain the water from the pasta then put pasta back to the pot together with bolognese sauce. Mix together.
- Divide between 3 plates and serve immediately.