This post may contain affiliate links.
This time I really have an amazing recipe for you. This vegan Snickers copycat received wonderful reviews from my friends. They describe it as being better than the original. You don’t want to miss out on this one.
Snickers was one of my favourite sweets when I was young. When tackling a vegan version of this bar I wanted to create something special and really nail the brilliant taste of the original.
Let’s talk about the delicious ingredients. For the nougat layer I’m using ground cashews mixed with peanut butter as main ingredients. Caramel consists of vegan Dulce de Leche, peanut butter and vegan butter. Caramel is topped with deeply roasted peanuts and everything is dipped in 60 % vegan chocolate. It’s important to use 60 % and not 70 % chocolate in this recipe because 70 % would overpower other flavours. I always stick with chocolate from Lindt, as it’s the best in my opinion. I use ültje or Reese’s peanut butter, depending on which one is available.
If you haven’t heard of vegan Dulce de Leche yet, don’t be afraid because it’s really quite easy to make although it does take some time. Pies and Tacos has great instructions on how to do that and you can follow that but use a can of condensed coconut milk instead of regular condensed milk. The brand of condensed coconut milk I’m using is Nature’s Charm.
After you make the bars, store them in the fridge. But don’t forget to take them out about 20-30 minutes before you want to eat them. They soften at room temperature and become a truly unforgettable eating experience.
Vegan Snickers (GF)
- 150 g cashews
- 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/12 tsp salt
- 144 g (1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 50 g vegan Dulce de Leche*
- 50 g vegan butter
- 200 g vegan Dulce de Leche*
- 200 g smooth peanut butter
- 100 g vegan butter
- 1/12 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Crunchy peanut layer:
- 100 g peanuts roasted
- 350-400 g Lindt 60 % chocolate
- First arrange peanuts for the crunch layer on a tray layered with parchment paper and roast them at 180 °C for 10-12 min. You want deeply roasted peanuts. After roasting leave them to cool for a little bit then rub their skin off with your fingers.
- While peanuts are roasting start preparing the nougat layer. Crush cashews in a blender. Work in smaller batches (3x50g) so that they don't transform into cashew butter. Transfer them into a larger bowl.
- Add to the bowl vanilla powder and salt and mix together.
- Then add also peanut butter, vegan Dulce de Leche and vegan butter to the mixture. Mix well together.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a square baking dish with a removable bottom (mine was 20×20 cm) and layer the bottom part with parchment paper.
- Spread the nougat layer equally on the bottom of baking dish.
- Put it in the freezer while you work on caramel.
- Add all ingredients for the caramel to a pot and gently melt them over low heat.
- Take the baking dish out of the freezer and pour the caramel over it, spreading it with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle roasted peanuts on top and press them gently into the caramel with the back of a spoon.
- Return the baking dish in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler.
- Take baking dish out of the freezer and cut 12 bars.
- Coat every bar with melted chocolate. If the bars that are waiting to be dipped get too soft, return them to the freezer for a couple of minutes to harden again.
- After all bars are coated with chocolate, place them on a plate lined with parchment paper and put them in the refrigerator for the chocolate to harden.
- After chocolate is hardened trim the edges of the bars with a knife where there's excessive chocolate.
- Take bars out of the refrigerator about 20-30 min before serving them so they become softer and more enjoyable to eat.
Walking Through Lavender Fields is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Walking Through Lavender Fields will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I love and use through my affiliate links.