I would never have thought that I would like to eat vanilla ice cream so much before making my own at home. This vegan vanilla ice cream has such a wonderful taste that it is easily one of my favourite ice creams. For the vanilla flavour I’m using vanilla powder which is made with dehydrated and ground vanilla beans and has no other ingredients added.
The base for my vegan vanilla ice cream are cashews, evaporated coconut milk and condensed coconut milk (for the last two ingredients I’m using Nature’s Charm brand). Make sure to chill the cans of evaporated and condensed coconut milk in the fridge before using them in the ice cream. For best results chill the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight before turning it into ice cream. Cold ingredients help the ice cream freeze faster which prevents ice crystals from forming. I use spring water to ensure that the taste stays really pure but if not available you can use also regular tap water. A little bit of whiskey is added because it really helps with the creaminess of the ice cream. There’s no taste of alcohol in the ice cream however.
If you want to make this ice cream safe for children you can leave the alcohol out. Just make sure to otherwise stick to the process and put the mixture in the fridge to cool it down before transforming it into an ice cream. This will help with the creaminess.
More delicious vegan ice cream recipes:
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream (and Chocolate Orange Ice Cream)
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
- Vegan Biscoff Ice Cream
Vegan Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (GF)
- 120 g cashews
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) evaporated coconut milk chilled
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) spring water chilled
- 160 g condensed coconut milk chilled
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) whiskey
- 2/3 tsp vanilla powder
- Make sure to put the ice cream maker container in the freezer at least 12 hours before you start making the ice cream. For best result chill in the freezer also the container in which you will store the ice cream.
- Add all ingredients for the ice cream in a blender and mix well together. Make sure the mixture is really smooth.
- For best results chill the mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight before proceeding.
- Take the mixture out of the refrigerator and give it a stir. When the ice cream machine is running, pour the mixture into the ice cream machine. Churn according to the directions.
- After ice cream is made in the ice cream machine, take it out and transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Seal it and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours so that the ice cream hardens even more.