When I was younger I often ordered crepes with walnut filling for dessert. It was a staple dessert in Slovenian restaurants. It’s been quite a while since I had them but their taste is quite vivid in my memory. In this recipe I created a plant based version of this otherwise non-vegan dish which tastes just the same if not even better.
The first step is a recipe for basic vegan crepes. My vegan crepes are so delicious I could eat them on their own without any filling. The second step is the filling which is made of ground walnuts and cinnamon with warm coconut cream poured over the walnuts. The filling is sweetened with maple syrup and a little bit of rum is added for the final touch. For the decoration of these crepes I use a sprinkle of powdered sugar, just a little bit of whipped plant based cream beside the crepe and I drizzle a little bit of my vegan hot fudge sauce over them. The final result is irresistible.
More delicious vegan crepes recipes:
- Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
- Vegan Biscoff Caramelised Banana Crepes
Vegan Walnut Crepes (veganske orehove palačinke)
- 50 g walnuts ground
- 1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 50 ml (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) coconut cream just cream from a can of coconut cream without the water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rum
- powdered sugar
- plant based whipped cream
- vegan hot fudge sauce
- Crush walnuts in a blender. Transfer them to a smaller bowl.
- Add cinnamon and mix.
- Melt coconut cream over medium heat then pour it over walnuts.
- Add maple syrup and rum. Mix together well.
- Let the filling stand so that it thickens while you prepare the crepes.
- Make 2 vegan crepes.
- Spread 1/2 of the filling all over one crepe then fold the crepe in half and then fold that in half again. Repeat the same with the second 1/2 of the filling and the second crepe.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the crepes.
- Place whipped plant based cream at the side.
- Drizzle some vegan hot fudge sauce on top of crepes.