When I was younger I often ordered crepes with walnut filling for dessert. It was a staple dessert in Slovenian restaurants. It’s been quite a while since I had them but their taste is quite vivid in my memory. In this recipe I created a plant based version of this otherwise non-vegan dish which I think tastes almost the same if not even better.
The first step is a recipe for basic vegan crepes. My vegan crepes are so delicious I could eat them on their own without any filling. The second step is the filling which is made of ground walnuts and cinnamon with warm coconut cream poured over the walnuts. The filling is sweetened with maple syrup and a little bit of rum is added for the final touch. For the decoration of these crepes I use a sprinkle of powdered sugar, just a little bit of whipped plant based cream beside the crepe and I drizzle a little bit of my hot fudge sauce over them. The final result is irresistible.
More delicious vegan crepes recipes:
- Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
- Vegan Crepes with Strawberry Jam 4 Ways
- Vegan Biscoff Caramelized Banana Crepes
Vegan Walnut Crepes (veganske orehove palačinke)
- 50 g walnuts ground
- 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon powder
- 50 ml (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) coconut cream just cream from a can of coconut cream without the water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rum
- 60 g all purpose flour sifted
- a small pinch of turmeric powder for colour
- a pinch of salt
- 20 ml (4 tsp) sparkling water
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) unsweetened soy milk
- 20 g vegan butter melted
- 32 g (2 tbsp) unsweetened soy yogurt (I make my own at home)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple syrup
For making crepes:
- scant 1/2 tsp vegan butter
- powdered sugar
- whipped plant based cream
- hot fudge sauce
- Crush walnuts in a blender. Transfer them to a smaller bowl.
- Add cinnamon and mix.
- Melt coconut cream over medium heat then pour it over walnuts.
- Add maple syrup and rum. Mix together well.
- Let the filling stand so that it thickens while you prepare the crepes.
- Sift the flour then add all the ingredients for the crepes into a blender and mix. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Melt 1/3 tsp of vegan butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and spill 1/2 of the crepes mixture over it. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly around the pan.
- Wait until the top of the crepe is no longer wet then flip it over. After the other side is cooked, flip it once more and cook for a little bit. Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Turn the heat to low, add 1/8 tsp of vegan butter and rotate the pan so that it spreads evenly around. Add the other 1/2 of the crepes mixture. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly in the pan. Turn the heat back to medium.
- First side of the second crepe will be cooked much faster than the first side of the first crepe because the pan is much hotter. When there are no more wet patches on top of the crepe flip it over and cook the other side. Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Spread 1/2 of the filling all over one crepe then fold the crepe in half and then fold that in half again. Repeat the same with the second 1/2 of the filling and the second crepe.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the crepes.
- Place whipped plant based cream at the side.
- Drizzle some hot fudge sauce on top of crepes.