When I was younger I often ordered crepes with walnut filling for dessert. It was a staple dessert in Slovenian restaurants. It’s been quite a while since I had them but their taste is quite vivid in my memory. In this recipe I created a plant based version of this otherwise non-vegan dish which I think tastes almost the same.
I make the crepes in the same way as I make them in baked crepes with vegan cottage cheese, vegan crepes with strawberry jam 4 ways and in Biscoff caramelized banana crepes. The filling is made of ground walnuts and cinnamon with warm coconut cream poured over the walnuts. I then sweeten the filling with maple syrup and add some rum for the final touch. I sprinkle some powdered sugar for decoration. Finally I place some whipped plant based cream beside the crepe and I drizzle a little bit of my hot fudge sauce over it.
Walnut Crepes (V)
- 50 g walnuts ground
- 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon powder
- 50 ml (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) coconut cream only the cream part from a can of coconut cream (without water)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rum
- 30 g all purpose flour sifted
- a small pinch of turmeric powder for colour
- a pinch of salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sparkling water
- 50 ml (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) unsweetened soy milk
- 10 g vegan butter melted
- 16 g (1 tbsp) unsweetened soy yogurt (I make my own at home)
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) maple syrup
For making crepe:
- 1/3 tsp vegan butter
- powdered sugar
- whipped plant based cream
- hot fudge sauce
- Crush walnuts in a blender. Transfer them to a smaller bowl.
- Add cinnamon and mix.
- Melt coconut cream over medium heat then pour it over walnuts.
- Add maple syrup and rum. Mix together well.
- Let the filling stand so that it thickens while you prepare the crepe.
- Sift the flour then add turmeric and salt. Mix together.
- Add all other ingredients and mix together until there are no more lumps.
- Melt 1/3 tsp of vegan butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and spill the crepe mixture over it. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly around the pan.
- Wait until the top of the crepe is no longer wet then flip it over. After the other side is cooked, flip it once more and cook for a little bit. Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Spread filling all over the crepe then fold the crepe in half and then fold that in half again.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the crepe.
- Place whipped plant based cream at the side.
- Drizzle some hot fudge sauce on top of crepe.