When I was younger I often ordered crepes with walnut filling for dessert. It was a staple dessert in Slovenian restaurants. It’s been quite a while since I had them but their taste is quite vivid in my memory. In this recipe I created a plant based version of this otherwise non-vegan dish which I think tastes almost the same.
I make the crepes in the same way as I make them in baked crepes with vegan cottage cheese, vegan crepes with strawberry jam 4 ways and in Biscoff caramelized banana crepes. The filling is made of ground walnuts and cinnamon with warm coconut cream poured over the walnuts. I then sweeten the filling with maple syrup and add some rum for the final touch. I sprinkle some powdered sugar for decoration. Finally I place some whipped plant based cream beside the crepe and I drizzle a little bit of my hot fudge sauce over it.
Walnut Crepes (V)
- 50 g walnuts ground
- 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon powder
- 50 ml (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) coconut cream only the cream part from a can of coconut cream (without water)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rum
- 60 g all purpose flour sifted
- a small pinch of turmeric powder for colour
- a pinch of salt
- 20 ml (4 tsp) sparkling water
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) unsweetened soy milk
- 20 g vegan butter melted
- 32 g (2 tbsp) unsweetened soy yogurt (I make my own at home)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple syrup
For making crepes:
- scant 1/2 tsp vegan butter
- powdered sugar
- whipped plant based cream
- hot fudge sauce
- Crush walnuts in a blender. Transfer them to a smaller bowl.
- Add cinnamon and mix.
- Melt coconut cream over medium heat then pour it over walnuts.
- Add maple syrup and rum. Mix together well.
- Let the filling stand so that it thickens while you prepare the crepes.
- Sift the flour then add all the ingredients for the crepes into a blender and mix. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Melt 1/3 tsp of vegan butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and spill 1/2 of the crepes mixture over it. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly around the pan.
- Wait until the top of the crepe is no longer wet then flip it over. After the other side is cooked, flip it once more and cook for a little bit. Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Turn the heat to low, add 1/8 tsp of vegan butter and rotate the pan so that it spreads evenly around. Add the other 1/2 of the crepes mixture. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly in the pan. Turn the heat back to medium.
- First side of the second crepe will be cooked much faster than the first side of the first crepe because the pan is much hotter. When there are no more wet patches on top of the crepe flip it over and cook the other side. Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Spread 1/2 of the filling all over one crepe then fold the crepe in half and then fold that in half again. Repeat the same with the second 1/2 of the filling and the second crepe.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the crepes.
- Place whipped plant based cream at the side.
- Drizzle some hot fudge sauce on top of crepes.