If you need a quick snack sometimes things don’t have to be complicated. Snacking on nuts has often saved me while travelling when there was not a lot of other vegan options available. It’s especially convenient on road trips or when I’m just too tired to go out looking for a restaurant.
I experienced how a simple snack like this can give you a pleasant feeling when I was flying with Qatar Airways. Placed comfortably in my chair the flight attendant brought me warm roasted nuts. I also ordered a hot tea alongside. Suddenly I was not sure anymore if I’m stuck in a little box with many other people or if I’m at home in my sanctuary. I was pleasantly warm and cozy.
This feeling can be even better at home. Making yourself comfy with little treats can be a lovely thing, especially on cold nights when you don’t feel like going out. You snack on warm roasted nuts while tucked away under a blanket. I like to prepare a hot beverage to go along with this snack.
Warm Roasted Nuts (V, GF)
- 30 g hazelnuts
- 30 g peanuts
- 30 g almonds
- 30 g cashews
- 30 g macadamia nuts
- Arrange all the nuts on a baking tray with baking paper and roast them at 180 °C.
- Take out cashews and macadamia nuts after 8 minutes or so (when they become golden), return the rest back in the oven.
- Take almonds out after 10 minutes.
- Take out hazelnuts and peanuts after 10-12 minutes, depending on your preference for more or less roasted nuts (personally I leave them to roast for 12 minutes).
- You can rub the skin off of hazelnuts and peanuts or serve them as they are and rub their skin off one by one while you're eating.
- Serve warm with tea, hot chocolate or other hot beverage.