This recipe is an interesting hybrid between a breakfast bowl and a dessert. I offer three options on how to prepare it. The basis for all options are caramelised apples or pears with a drizzle of vegan Dulce de Leche. The warmth of caramelised fruit is paired with the cold coming from vegan vanilla ice cream, soy yoghurt or chia pudding. Roasted nuts add the final touch with their toasty crunchiness.
If you haven’t heard of vegan Dulce de Leche yet, don’t be afraid because it’s really quite easy to make. It does take some time though. Follow the instructions for homemade vegan Dulce de Leche to make this creamy, caramel-like sauce that you can use in many amazing desserts. If you really don’t want to bother with making vegan Dulce de Leche, you can substitute it with maple syrup or vegan honey.
This dish is ideal for colder months of the year. It will give you a cosy and warm feeling that a warm blanket gives when it’s cold outside. My favourite combination is with soy yoghurt. Which one is yours?
More delicious recipes with apples:
- Vegan Apple Strudel (veganski jabolčni zavitek)
- Vegan Apple Crumble
- Vegan Bircher Muesli with Silken Tofu
Caramelised Apples with Vegan Dulce de Leche (GF)
- 2 apples or pears peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) coconut oil
- 20 ml (4 tsp) vegan Dulce de Leche divided
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 6 g roasted and crushed nuts
With vegan ice cream:
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla ice cream
With soy yoghurt:
- 250 g unsweetened soy yoghurt or substitute with vegan greek style yoghurt
With chia pudding:
- 36 g (3 tbsp) chia seeds
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) unsweetened soy milk or substitute with evaporated coconut milk for more of a dessert like feel
- Roast chosen nuts for the crumble on top. Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds go very well here. Walnuts and pecans need 5 min, while almonds and hazelnuts need 10 min of roasting at 180 °C. After roasting crush them with the back of a fork (and in case of hazelnuts first rub their skin off with your hands).
- Peel, core and slice apples (or pears).
- Heat pan with a lid and melt coconut oil and 2 tsp of vegan Dulce de Leche.
- Add sliced apples and lower to medium heat. Mix well so that apples are coated with coconut oil and vegan Dulce de Leche on all sides.
- Cook for 5-10 min, mixing often in between. You want the apples to get really soft.
- Add cinnamon when apples are done caramelising. Mix together.
- If you're making apples with vegan vanilla ice cream transfer the apples to a bowl or a plate. Place a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream on top. Sprinkle crushed nuts and drizzle 2 tsp of melted vegan Dulce de Leche on top.
- If you're making apples with vegan yoghurt place soy yoghurt in a bowl to make a pillow. Arrange apples on top then sprinkle with crushed roasted nuts and drizzle 2 tsp of melted vegan Dulce de Leche.
- If you're making apples with chia pudding put chia seeds and soy milk (preferably chilled) in a glass or bowl. Leave it to stand in the refrigerator while apples are caramelising. Mix once or twice in this time, especially in the first three minutes to prevent chia seeds from clumping together unevenly. Place warm caramelised apples on top, sprinkle crushed roasted nuts on them and drizzle 2 tsp of melted vegan Dulce de Leche.
- Serve immediately while apples are still warm.