This post may contain affiliate links.
I love the taste of this curry. It’s really delicious and satisfying. The combination of spices and roasted almond butter create a deep and rich flavour. I chose smoked tofu, sweet potato, spinach, black eyed peas and brown rice as the main ingredients that I think complement the almond butter and spice mix really well.
This meal doesn’t need a lot of work and you can put together everything relatively quickly. You can also substitute my suggested vegetables with different ones that you have at your disposal.
If you’re interested in more curry recipes, check out my peanut butter curry with potatoes, carrots, green peas and green lentils. It’s made with similar spices but tastes very different.
Almond Butter Curry with Sweet Potato, Smoked Tofu, Spinach and Black Eyed Peas (V, GF)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 cm fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 medium to large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) water
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) full fat coconut milk (cream and water)
- 2 1/2 tsp curry powder*
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 100 g smoked tofu cubed
- 1 can black eyed peas drained of water
- 150 g fresh spinach
- 18 g (1 tbsp) roasted almond butter
as a side:
- 100 g brown rice
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- salt to taste
- almonds roasted and chopped
- If you're using almonds for the topping, roast them at 180 °C for 10 min. Chop them into smaller pieces.
- Cook brown rice in water with 1/2 tsp of olive oil which prevents the rice from sticking. Cook for about 25 min. After it is cooked add lemon juice and salt. Mix together.
- While the rice is cooking heat coconut oil in a larger pot and add chilli flakes and minced ginger. Stir and cook for about 30s.
- Add cubed sweet potato and mix.
- Add water, coconut milk. Wait for it to warm through.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Mix together. Bring it to boil then turn to low and cook for 10 min.
- Then add cubed smoked tofu and black eyed peas. Bring it to boil again then turn to low and cook another 5 min.
- Add spinach and almond butter and cook another 5 min (you can melt almond butter separately in a small pot so it will incorporate into the curry more easily).
- Divide brown rice between two bowls. Divide curry mixture between two bowls. Sprinkle chopped roasted almonds on top of curry if desired. Serve warm.
Walking Through Lavender Fields is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Walking Through Lavender Fields will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I love and use through my affiliate links.