I love the taste of this curry. It’s really delicious and satisfying. The combination of spices and roasted almond butter create a deep and rich flavour. All ingredients from smoked tofu, sweet potato, spinach to black eyed peas complement the almond butter and spice mix really well as does lemony brown rice as a side. Scatter some roasted crushed almonds on top for the final touch.
If you’re interested in more curry recipes, check out my peanut butter curry with potatoes, carrots, green peas and green lentils. It’s made with similar spices but tastes very different.
Almond Butter Curry with Sweet Potato, Smoked Tofu, Spinach and Black Eyed Peas (V, GF)
Almond butter and spices in this curry create a rich and deep flavour that is delicious, comforting and satisfying. Made with a variety of foods (sweet potato, smoked tofu, spinach and black eyed peas) this curry is nutritious, nourishing and healthy.
Almond butter curry:
- 10 ml (2 tsp) coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cm fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 medium to large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) water
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) full fat coconut milk cream and water
- 2 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
- 100 g smoked tofu cubed
- 1 can black eyed peas drained of water (240g after discarding the liquid)
- 18 g (1 tbsp) roasted smooth almond butter
- 150 g fresh spinach
- 100 g brown rice
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 10 g almonds roasted and crushed
- Roast almonds for the topping at 180 °C for 10 min. Crush them into smaller pieces.
- Cook brown rice in water with 1/2 tsp of olive oil which prevents the rice from sticking. Cook for about 25 min. After it is cooked add lemon juice and salt. Mix together.
- While the rice is cooking heat coconut oil in a larger pot and add chilli flakes and minced ginger. Stir and cook for about 30s.
- Add cubed sweet potato and mix.
- Add water and coconut milk. Wait for it to warm through.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Mix together. Bring it to boil then turn to low and cook for 10 min.
- Then add cubed smoked tofu and black eyed peas. Bring it to boil again then turn to low and cook another 5 min.
- Add almond butter and wait for it to melt into curry then add also spinach. Cook another 5 min.
- Divide brown rice between two bowls. Divide curry mixture between two bowls. Sprinkle crushed roasted almonds on top of curry. Serve warm.
*Do not put coconut milk in the refrigerator so that cream and water do not separate. If you only have a can of coconut milk that was already in the refrigerator, you can still use it for this recipe. Just take half of the amount of cream and the other half of water that has separated from the cream. *I used a very spicy curry powder in this recipe. If you prefer you can use a mild one instead. *You can make more brown rice as a side but for me this quantity is enough.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 736kcalCarbohydrates: 88gProtein: 28gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 1136mgFiber: 14gSugar: 8g
Did you like this recipe?Tag @WalkingThroughLavenderFields on Instagram or hashtag it #walkingthroughlavenderfields!
SzymonFebruary 15, 2022 at 18:53
This looks incredible! I would love to try it !!! <3