This curry is a hearty, comforting and delicious meal made with a combination of spices and peanut butter. Potatoes, carrots, green peas and green lentils are cooked in this aromatic sauce and served alongside lemony brown rice. Scatter some roasted crushed peanuts on top for the final touch.
If you’re interested in more curry recipes, check out my almond butter curry with sweet potato, smoked tofu, spinach and black eyed peas. It’s made with similar spices but tastes very different.
Peanut Butter Curry with Potatoes, Carrots, Green Peas and Green Lentils (V, GF)
Peanut butter curry:
- 10 ml (2 tsp) coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cm fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 350 g potatoes cubed
- 125 g carrots chopped
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) water
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) full fat coconut milk cream and water
- 2 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
- 125 g green peas
- 36 g (2 tbsp) smooth peanut butter
- 80 g dry green lentils or 240g cooked green lentils from a can
- 100 g brown rice
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 10 g peanuts roasted and crushed
- Cook lentils in 240 ml (1 cup) water for 25 min. You can also use lentils from a can that has been already cooked and skip this step. In this case use 240g of cooked lentils.
- Roast peanuts for the topping at 180 °C for 10 min. Crush them into small pieces.
- Cook brown rice in water with 1/2 tsp of olive oil which will help so that rice doesn't stick. Cook for about 25 min. After it is cooked add lemon juice and salt. Mix together.
- While the rice is cooking heat coconut oil in a larger pot and toast chilli flakes and minced ginger. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add cubed potatoes and carrots and mix.
- Add water and coconut milk.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Mix together. Bring it to boil then turn to low and cook for about 12 min.
- After 12 min of cooking add green peas. Bring it to boil again then turn to low and cook another 5 min. Then add peanut butter and wait for it to melt into curry then add also lentils. Cook another 3 min.
- Divide brown rice between two bowls. Divide curry mixture between two bowls. Sprinkle crushed roasted peanuts on top of curry. Serve warm.