This curry is a hearty, comforting and delicious meal made with a combination of spices and peanut butter. I chose potatoes, carrots, green peas and green lentils as vegetables but you can replace them with other ingredients if desired. I like to have some brown rice as a side and some roasted peanuts for the topping.
If you’re interested in more curry recipes, check out my almond butter curry with sweet potato, smoked tofu, spinach and black eyed peas. It’s made with similar spices but tastes very different.
Peanut Butter Curry with Potatoes, Carrots, Green Peas and Green Lentils (V, GF)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 cm fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 350 g potatoes optional peeled
- 125 g carrots optional peeled
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) water
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) full fat coconut milk (cream and water)
- 2 1/2 tsp curry powder*
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 125 g green peas
- 80 g dry green lentils
- 36 g (2 tbsp) smooth peanut butter
as a side:
- 100 g brown rice
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- salt to taste
- peanuts roasted and chopped
- Cook lentils in water for 25 min. After cooking discard the excess water. (You can also use lentils from a can* that has been already cooked and skip this step.)
- If you're using peanuts for the topping, roast them at 180 °C for 10 min. Chop them into small pieces.
- Chop potatoes, carrots into small pieces.
- Cook brown rice in water with 1/2 tsp of olive oil which will help so that rice doesn't stick. Cook for about 25 min. After it is cooked add lemon juice and salt. Mix together.
- While the rice is cooking heat coconut oil in a larger pot and toast chilli flakes and minced ginger. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add cubed potatoes and carrots and mix.
- Add water, coconut milk. Wait for it to warm through.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Mix together. Bring it to boil then turn to low and cook for about 12 min.
- After 12 min of cooking add green peas. Bring it to boil again then turn to low and cook another 6 min. Then add lentils and peanut butter. You can melt peanut butter separately in a small pot so it will incorporate into the curry more easily. Cook another 2 min.
- Divide brown rice between two bowls. Divide curry mixture between two bowls. Sprinkle chopped roasted peanuts on top of curry if desired. Serve warm.