There are many dishes I love from my childhood that use cottage cheese or skuta as we call it in my home country of Slovenia. It was really important for me to create a taste that will be an excellent substitute for this ingredient. After many tries I finally succeeded in making a very good imitation. I make it with silken tofu, cashews and coconut cream, mixed in a creamy sauce that I then add to crumbled firm tofu.
You can use this cottage cheese in dishes like börek with vegan cottage cheese, vegan layered strudel cake (prekmurska gibanica), baked crepes with vegan cottage cheese, vegan crepes with strawberry jam and cottage cheese, cottage cheese and jam toast and cottage cheese strudel. Trust me, they will taste as the real thing with this imitation of cottage cheese. You won’t notice the difference.
In this recipe I use probiotics to achieve a real tangy feel in the taste. This takes some time for the final product to be ready but it’s worth it.
Vegan Cottage Cheese (GF)
- 600 g firm tofu
- 80 g cashews
- 400 g silken tofu (I used extra firm silken tofu)
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) coconut cream just cream from a can of coconut cream (without the water)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 probiotic capsule I used a capsule with 20 billion viable bacteria
- Carefully clean a ceramic or glass baking dish and sterilize it with boiling water. Leave it to dry.
- Crumble firm tofu with the back of a fork. Put it into a sterilized baking dish.
- Crush cashews in a blender.
- Add silken tofu, coconut cream and salt to the blender. Mix until the ingredients transform into a smooth sauce. Pour the sauce over crumbled tofu and mix well together.
- Sprinkle the content of one fourth of a probiotic capsule on top. Then take a wooden spoon and mix the probiotics into the mixture. It's important that you use a wooden and not a metal spoon. Metal can kill the probiotics.
- Turn the light in your oven on (but don't turn on the oven) and put the baking dish with vegan cottage cheese into the oven on the middle rack. Leave it there under the warm light for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours take the cottage cheese out and store it in the refrigerator.