There are many dishes I love from my childhood that use cottage cheese or skuta as we call it in my home country of Slovenia. This recipe is a vegan imitation of cottage cheese that can be used in these kind of recipes. Instead of real curd I’m using crumbled firm tofu and for the cream I created a wonderfully rich and tangy mixture made of cashews, soy yoghurt and lemon juice. Mix tofu and silky cream together and you get vegan cottage cheese.
You can use vegan cottage cheese in these delicious recipes:
- Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
- Burek with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganski sirov burek)
- Vegan Cottage Cheese Toast
Vegan Cottage Cheese (GF)
- 280 g (2 cups) cashews soaked in boiling water for 1 hour
- 128 g (1/2 cup) unsweetened soy yoghurt or vegan greek style yoghurt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 600 g firm tofu crumbled
- Put cashews in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Leave them to soak for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour discard the soaking water and rinse cashews with fresh water.
- Put cashews in a blender along with all other ingredients for the cream: vegan yoghurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Mix together until you get a smooth and silky cream.
- Crumble firm tofu with the back of a fork. Put it in a larger bowl. Add also cashew cream to the tofu and mix together well with a spoon.
- Store vegan cottage cheese in the refrigerator.