Baked cottage cheese filled crepes were one of my favourite desserts when I was growing up. So I’m pretty excited to have made a vegan version of it. There were quite a few challenges with recreating this dish. One was how to make delicious vegan crepes, another was how to make a rich and flavourful vegan cottage cheese filling and the third one was how to make a vegan version of the custard that is poured over the crepes. My goal was to make this dish taste exactly how I remember it from my childhood.
For crepes the trick was to add soy yoghurt to the batter which made them taste so delicious that I could eat them on their own without adding any filling. For the filling I used my vegan cottage cheese and mixed it with vegan sour cream and maple syrup to get the rich, tangy and sweet filling. Raisins that were soaked in rum are also mixed into the filling. I substituted the egg custard that goes on top of crepes with a mixture of soy yoghurt, vegan butter, coconut cream and silken tofu. Just a little bit of extra-firm silken tofu is needed for the topping so that it holds everything together. The custard was especially hard to figure out but in the end I can truly say that it tastes just like I remember it.
Making these crepes does take some time and effort but it’s so worth it. It’s one of those dishes that can surprise that there are only vegan ingredients used in the recipe.
More delicious vegan crepes recipes:
Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
- 200 g vegan cottage cheese
- 80 g vegan sour cream recipe below
- 20 ml (4 tsp) maple syrup
- zest 1/4 lemon
- 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- a pinch of salt
- 20 g raisins soaked in rum for a couple of minutes
- rum for soaking the raisins
Vegan sour cream:
- 80 g vegan greek style yoghurt
- heaped 1/3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 150 g (1/2 cup + 4 tsp) unsweetened soy yoghurt I make my own at home
- 15 g silken tofu I used extra firm silken tofu
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coconut cream just cream from a can of coconut cream without the water
- 15 g (1 tbsp) vegan butter melted
- 10 ml (2 tsp) maple syrup
- a very small pinch of turmeric powder for colour
- 1/4 tsp powdered sugar
- If you are making homemade soy yoghurt you have to make it 12 hours in advance. You will need a little less than 1/3 of the recipe.
- Make vegan cottage cheese. You will need a little less than 1/5 of the recipe.
- Make 4 vegan crepes.
- Soak the raisins in rum.
- Mix together all ingredients for the filling. Add also the raisins (discarding the rum) and mix again.
- Spread the mixture equally on all four crepes. Roll all crepes and place them in a greased baking dish (I used 23×22 cm) side by side.
- In a blender mix together soy yoghurt, silken tofu, coconut cream, vegan butter, maple syrup and turmeric powder. Pour the mixture over crepes so that the top of crepes is all covered in the dressing.
- Bake in the middle rack at 180 °C for 40 min. It's done when the top starts to brown.
Decorating and serving:
- Wait for crepes to cool.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve.