I started enjoying this simple cosy meal not so long ago after talking to an older friend about it. His grandfather ate it for breakfast every morning. It’s barley coffee mixed with warm milk and pieces of stale bread soaked in it. I started making it for myself in the evenings and every day I would long to eat it again. It gives you a warm and comfortable feeling inside.
Even though you can use any bread, I love it with an oat bran bagel. The bread can be stale but I also often use fresh bread. I also tried putting different cookies in it. McVitie’s digestives are the perfect choice. Once when my homemade croissants didn’t turn out as well as I would like them I soaked them in a barley coffee and they were really good in it.
Some people like to sweeten their barley coffee. I don’t think that’s really necessary and can even ruin the dish for me.
More delicious breakfast recipes with bread:
- Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Avocado Toast on Garlic Bread
- Oat Bran Bagel with Vegan Cream Cheese
- Sweet Toast Ideas
Warm Barley Coffee with Soaked Bread (V)
- 1 tbsp barley coffee
- 360 ml (1 1/2 cups) plant based milk of choice homemade or store bought
- bread of choice and/or cookies of choice
- If you are making homemade plant based milk for this recipe do that before you start preparing other ingredients. I love brown rice milk the best in this recipe but sometimes I use homemade roasted hazelnut milk or cashew milk.
- Put barley coffee and plant based milk of choice in a pot and gently heat it over the stove. I would recommend that it doesn't go beyond 70 °C. Mix together with a spoon so there are no clumps.
- Pour warm barley coffee in a bowl. Serve with bread or/and cookies of choice. I love having barley coffee with oat bran bagel and McVitie's digestives.