This post may contain affiliate links.
I started enjoying this simple cozy meal not so long ago after talking to an older friend about it. His grandfather ate it for breakfast every morning. It’s barley coffee mixed with warm milk and pieces of stale bread soaked in it. I started making it for myself in the evenings and every day I would long to eat it again. It gives you a warm and comfortable feeling inside.
Even though you can use any bread, I love it with an oat bran bagel. The bread can be stale but I also often use fresh bread. I also tried putting different cookies in it. McVitie’s digestives are the perfect choice. Once when my homemade croissants didn’t turn out as well as I would like them I soaked them in a barley coffee and they were really good in it.
Some people like to sweeten their barley coffee. I don’t think that’s really necessary and can even ruin the dish for me.
Warm Barley Coffee with Soaked Bread (V)
- 2 tsp barley coffee
- 250 ml (1 cup) plant based milk of choice (I like brown rice milk, roasted hazelnut milk, cashew milk)
- bread of choice (I chose oat bran bagel) or cookies of choice (I like McVitie's digestives)
- If you are making homemade plant based milk for this recipe do that before you start preparing other ingredients.
- Take a deep plate or large cup and add barley coffee.
- Gently heat milk of choice. I would recommend that it doesn't go beyond 70 °C. Pour it over barley coffee and mix with the spoon.
- Serve with bread or/and cookies of choice.
Walking Through Lavender Fields is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Walking Through Lavender Fields will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I love and use through my affiliate links.