This vegan grilled cheese sandwich is super delicious and super easy to make. Spread just the right amount of vegan butter on all sides of the bread. To get really crunchy bread toast all sides of it. Work with low heat to give vegan cheese time to melt. Splash some water around the pan to get vegan cheese to melt better. Check the rest of my tips to get that perfect vegan grilled cheese sandwich.
This sandwich can be eaten as a breakfast, a snack or as a lunch with some salad or soup. You can add some vegan ham or a similar meat substitute along with vegan cheese in the sandwich or have it the classic way just with the cheese.
Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 pieces of bread
- 20 g (4 tsp) vegan butter more or less depending on the size of your bread
- 4 pieces of vegan cheese it can be one or two different types of vegan cheese
- 1-2 pieces of vegan ham (or some similar meat substitute) optional
- Slice bread into 4 pieces of 1.3 cm (half an inch) thickness.
- Spread vegan butter very thinly on both sides of all 4 slices. I'm using Vegan Spreadable from Naturli which starts to melt immediately when you take it out of the refrigerator, so it's easy to spread. It also has an amazing flavour.
- Slice vegan cheese or take out already made slices. I'm using a mixture of two vegan cheeses which I found to make the best taste together. First one is Violife Epic Mature Cheddar Flavour Block. This vegan cheese melts superbly. The second one is Violife Original Flavour Slices.
- Prepare also vegan ham or a similar meat substitute if desired. I'm using Wheaty Affettato Vegano Salame.
- Heat a non-stick pan (so that the vegan cheese doesn't stick when it melts) on low to medium heat. Don't heat it more than that. It's important that you are working on relatively low heat so that the pan doesn't get too hot and you give vegan cheese time to melt before you burn the bread.
- Put two pieces of bread in the pan. Cover the pan and let it toast for 4 min.
- Open the lid, take the bread out and put it on a plate. Lower the heat to low. Turn one piece around so that the toast side is facing up. Place 2 slices of vegan cheese on it. Close the sandwich with the second piece of bread so that the toast side is facing down.
- Open the lid, turn the sandwich around with a cooking shovel. Again splash some water on the pan around it and close the lid. Toast the other side also for 3-4 min.
- Open the lid. Transfer the sandwich onto a serving plate.
- Put the heat again on low to medium and repeat the same process again for the second sandwich (first toasting of the bread took me now just 2 min instead of 4 min). Optionally place a slice of vegan ham (or similar meat substitute) on top of vegan cheese for the second sandwich.
- Serve warm as it is or with some salad. You can split the sandwiches between two people and serve soup with it.