You will want to use this marinara sauce in many dishes. It has a rich flavour that’s built with a few key ingredients. It takes about half an hour to make it. You will need olive oil, red pepper flakes, diced or crushed tomatoes in a can, vegan red wine, fresh oregano and fresh basil, maple syrup, tomato paste, nutritional yeast and salt.
Use this marinara sauce in different pasta dishes (like in this vegan meatballs pasta) and lasagnas. Serve vegan meatballs bathing in marinara sauce or make a vegan meatballs sandwich with marinara sauce. Use it on pizza and in many other dishes.
Marinara Sauce (V, GF)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 800 g (2 cans) peeled crushed or diced tomatoes without salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegan red wine I used Chianti Classico by Cecchi 2018
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 g (1 1/2 tbsp) nutritional yeast I used fortified with B12
- 4 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a pot. Add chilli flakes and toast them.
- Lower the heat and add diced tomatoes and wine. Increase the heat and wait for it to boil, then add oregano, maple syrup and salt.
- Again lower the heat to medium and cook until the sauce thickens. Mine took about 30 min.
- Add nutritional yeast, tomato paste and chopped basil. Cook for 1 min more then turn off the heat.