I got the idea for this recipe when I was dining at a Cypriot restaurant Theta Cuisine which sadly doesn’t exist anymore. They served me a pasta dish which was full of cheesy flavour even though it was vegan. I wanted to replicate it at home.
Pasta is coated with a sauce made of roasted cashew butter, nutritional yeast and coconut cream. A sprinkle of cashew parmesan brings additional cheesy flavour. You’re going to be in cheesy heaven for sure with this pasta. You can add a vegetable of choice, like roasted broccoli. But have in mind that adding a vegetable will dilute the sauce a little bit. If you want a pure cheesy experience then I would suggest to have it without any vegetables.
More delicious pasta recipes:
Vegan Cheesy Alfredo Pasta (GF Option)
- 200 g vegan pasta of choice gluten free if needed
Roasted broccoli (optional):
- 200 g broccoli chopped into bite size florets
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 85 g runny roasted cashew butter
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) coconut cream the cream part from a can of full fat coconut milk without the water
- 7.5 g (1/2 tbsp) vegan butter
- heaped 10 tsp nutritional yeast I used fortified with B12
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- water from a can of full fat coconut milk as needed to thin the sauce
- cashew parmesan divided (recipe below)
- a sprinkle of nutritional yeast I used fortified with B12
- 20 g cashews
- 1 3/4 tsp nutritional yeast I used fortified with B12
- heaped 1/16 tsp salt
- If you want your pasta with broccoli, then coat broccoli florets with olive oil and some salt and pepper. Roast broccoli at 220 °C for 10 min.
- In a blender crush all ingredients for the cashew parmesan.
- Mix together ingredients for the sauce over low heat. Thin the sauce with water from a can of full fat coconut milk. I added about 60 ml (4 tbsp).
- Heat 2L of water in a large pot. When it boils add 2 tsp of salt and then the pasta. Wait for it to boil again then lower the heat to medium and cook according to the instructions on the box of pasta.
- When the pasta is done throw away the water. Put the pasta back in the pot, add the sauce and 2/3 of cashew parmesan. Mix together. Add also roasted broccoli and put the pot back on the warm turned-off stove. Leave covered for a minute or two so the sauce and broccoli become warm.
- Divide pasta between two bowls. Top with the rest of the cashew parmesan and additional nutritional yeast.