I got the idea for this recipe when I was dining at a Cypriot restaurant Theta Cuisine which sadly doesn’t exist anymore. They served me a pasta dish which was full of cheesy flavour even though it was vegan. I wanted to replicate it at home. In this pasta I use a coating sauce made with roasted cashew butter, nutritional yeast and coconut cream with some cashew parmesan mixed in. I sprinkle some more cashew parmesan and nutritional yeast on top of the pasta. I chose broccoli as the vegetable that goes very well with the cheesy flavour. You’re going to be in cheesy heaven for sure with this pasta.
Vegan Cheesy Alfredo Pasta (V, GF option)
- 200 g pasta of choice gluten free if needed
- 5 g vegan butter
- 65 g roasted cashew butter
- 75 ml (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) coconut cream* the cream part from a can of full fat coconut milk (without water)
- heaped 2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- water from a can of full fat coconut milk as needed to thin the sauce
- cashew parmesan divided (recipe below)
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- 200 g broccoli chopped into bite size florets
- 10 g vegan butter for roasting broccoli
- 20 g cashews
- heaped 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- a pinch of salt
- Melt 10g of vegan butter over low heat then coat broccoli florets with it. Roast broccoli at 220 °C for 10 min.
- In a food processor crush all ingredients for the cashew parmesan.
- Mix together ingredients for the sauce. Thin the sauce with water from a can of full fat coconut milk. I added 40 ml.
- Heat 1.5 litres of water in a large pot. When it boils add 2 tsp of salt and then the pasta. Wait for it to boil again then lower the heat to medium and cook according to the instructions on the box of pasta.
- When the pasta is done throw away the water. Put the pot with pasta back on the stove on low heat. Add 5g of vegan butter, the sauce and half of cashew parmesan. Mix well together and leave covered for a few minutes so the sauce can become warm.
- Add broccoli into the mixture and mix again.
- Divide pasta between two bowls. Top with the rest of the cashew parmesan and additional nutritional yeast.