I got the idea for this recipe when I was dining at a Cypriot restaurant Theta Cuisine which sadly doesn’t exist anymore. They served me a pasta dish which was full of cheesy flavour even though it was vegan. I wanted to replicate it at home. In this pasta I use a coating sauce made with roasted cashew butter, nutritional yeast and coconut cream with some cashew parmesan mixed in. I sprinkle some more cashew parmesan and nutritional yeast on top of the pasta. I chose broccoli as the vegetable that goes very well with the cheesy flavour. You’re going to be in cheesy heaven for sure with this pasta.
Vegan Cheesy Alfredo Pasta (GF Option)
- 200 g vegan pasta of choice gluten free if needed
- 200 g broccoli chopped into bite size florets
- 5 ml (1 tsp) olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 85 g runny roasted cashew butter
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 4 tsp) coconut cream the cream part from a can of full fat coconut milk (without water)
- 7.5 g (1/2 tbsp) vegan butter
- heaped 10 tsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- water from a can of full fat coconut milk as needed to thin the sauce
- cashew parmesan divided (recipe below)
- a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- 20 g cashews
- heaped 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- a pinch of salt
- Coat broccoli florets with olive oil and some salt and pepper. Roast broccoli at 220 °C for 10 min.
- In a blender crush all ingredients for the cashew parmesan.
- Mix together ingredients for the sauce over low heat. Thin the sauce with water from a can of full fat coconut milk. I added about 60 ml (4 tbsp).
- Heat 1.5 litres of water in a large pot. When it boils add 2 tsp of salt and then the pasta. Wait for it to boil again then lower the heat to medium and cook according to the instructions on the box of pasta.
- When the pasta is done throw away the water. Put the pasta back in the pot, add the sauce and 2/3 of cashew parmesan. Mix together. Add also roasted broccoli and put the pot back on the stove over low heat. Leave covered for a minute or two so the sauce and broccoli become warm.
- Divide pasta between two bowls. Top with the rest of the cashew parmesan and additional nutritional yeast.