This post may contain affiliate links.
This pesto pasta is one of my and my husband’s favourites. I make it with my vegan pesto which I think is even better than the original pesto. It’s so good I want to put my vegan pesto on everything.
I love fresh basil and often use it in a sandwich or burger instead of leafy greens. When on road trips my husband and I often buy fresh basil, a baguette, some hummus and cherry tomatoes. Then we combine them into a quick snack which is simple but delicious.
It always makes me happy when I’m doing something with basil in my kitchen since the divine smell of basil stays on my fingers for some time. Do you feel similar about this herb?
This pesto pasta is very quick and easy to make. The toppings are simple: cherry tomatoes, roasted pine nuts, fresh basil and cashew parmesan. I really recommend using fusilli as the pasta in this dish because they coat evenly with a heavier sauce like this vegan pesto.
Vegan Pesto Pasta (GF Option)
- a little less than 3/4 batch of my vegan pesto recipe
- 200 g fusilli pasta (gluten free if needed)
- 160 g cherry tomatoes quartered
- 25 g pine nuts roasted
- fresh basil leaves
- 30 g cashews
- 2 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- pinch of salt
- Roast the pine nuts at 180 °C for 5 min.
- Grind all ingredients for the cashew parmesan in a blender. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Without cleaning the blender put in all the ingredients for the
pesto and make the sauce. Set aside.
- Boil 1.5 litres of water in a larger pot then add 2 tsp of salt and pasta into the boiling water. Wait until it starts boiling again then turn the heat to medium and cook per instructions on the pasta box.
- Discard most of the pasta water, save just a little bit for later.
- Return pot with pasta to the stove on low heat. Add pesto and chopped cherry tomatoes. Mix well and leave it for a few minutes so the pesto and cherry tomatoes get warm. If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit of the pasta water.
- Remove the pot from the hot stove, then add pine nuts and mix.
- Divide between two bowls. Top with a little bit of cashew parmesan and fresh basil leaves. Serve warm with additional cashew parmesan (or if you wish you can make half of the batch of cashew parmesan and sprinkle that on top of the pasta without serving the other half).
Walking Through Lavender Fields is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Walking Through Lavender Fields will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I love and use through my affiliate links.