I loved eating crepes when I was a child, even without any filling in them. I was excited for every crepe that came out of the pan a little deformed, so I could eat the torn pieces. Here I’ve created a basic vegan crepe recipe that reminds me of the non-vegan crepes of my childhood. These are also just as delicious on their own.
Spread some strawberry jam, some other jam, vegan Nutella or some other spread of choice on these crepes then roll them and enjoy this fun and delicious breakfast with your family. Don’t forget to sprinkle some powdered sugar on top if desired.
More delicious fillings for vegan crepes:
- Walnut Crepes (veganske orehove palačinke)
- Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
- Biscoff Caramelised Banana Crepes
- 750 g all purpose flour sifted
- 1/5 tsp turmeric powder for colour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 ml (1 cup + 2 tsp) sparkling water
- 1250 ml (5 cups + 10 tsp) unsweetened soy milk
- 250 g (1 cup + 2 tsp) vegan butter melted
- 400 g (1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp) unsweetened soy yoghurt
- 62.5 ml (4 tbsp + 1/2 tsp) maple syrup
For making crepes:
- 16.7 g (1 tbsp + 1/3 tsp) vegan butter divided
- Sift flour into a large bowl, then add turmeric powder and salt. Mix together. In a separate bowl put wet ingredients and mix together. Pour dry mixture over the wet one, whisking as you are pouring so there are no lumps in the end. You can also put all ingredients in a blender if you have large enough one and mix together in a smooth batter. Leave the batter stand for about 30 min (for more tender crepes) or you can skip this step and proceed with the next one.
- Melt 1/3 tsp of vegan butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and spread it around with a brush, making sure that you go a little bit up on the edges of the pan. Wait a couple of minutes (if you are using an electric stove) or just 1 minute (if you are using a gas stove) so that the pan gets hot, then spill 1 ladle of the crepes mixture on the middle of it. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly around the pan. Wait until the top of the crepe is no longer wet or at least most of it is no longer wet (this should take about 2 min 30s for the electric stove and 1 min 30s to 2 min for the gas stove) then flip it over. Cook the other side for about 1 min. If you are using a gas stove the crepe is done on both sides. If you are using an electric stove flip the crepe once more and cook the first side for additional 1 min or so. Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Turn the heat to low, add 1/8 tsp of vegan butter and rotate the pan so that it spreads evenly around. Add the second 1 ladle of the crepes mixture. Rotate the pan with the handle so that the mixture spreads evenly in the pan. Turn the heat back to medium (or a little bit less than medium). When there are no more wet patches on top of the crepe (this should take 1 min 30s to 2 min) flip it over and cook the other side (for this side it should take about 1 min to cook). Transfer crepe to a larger plate.
- Repeat the last step 23 more times so that you get 25 crepes overall.
- Spread vegan crepes with strawberry or some other jam, vegan Nutella or some other spread of choice. Roll them or fold them into a triangle. Optional sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.