I love the combination of peanut butter and jam. It’s one of my favourite things to spread on bread. This pie is a real celebration of this combination. It’s rich, creamy and indulgent. I adapted it from a non-vegan recipe that Travis Tallant published on allrecipes.com. Besides replacing non-vegan ingredients with vegan ones I also made some adjustments in the layers. I decided to put more jam in the middle so that peanut butter and jam are equally balanced in this dessert. The filling is sweetened with medjool dates instead of powdered sugar. I also decreased the cream topping and used a lot less sweetener for the cream.
I’ve received a lot of praise for this pie as I shared it with friends at different occasions. It’s a real treat but also relatively simple and quick to make. The ingredients are of course very important. I’m using my favourite vegan cookies McVitie’s Digestives, ültje creamy peanut butter or if it’s not available Reese’s peanut butter and a strawberry jam from a Greek brand To Filema Tis Lelas or if it’s not available the French brand St. Dalfour.
What my friends also sometimes said about this pie was that it is a very satiating dessert and would perhaps be better in a smaller version. If you wish to make it like this, reduce the crust by 1/3, filling by 1/2 and strawberry jam by 1/2. This way you get more of a tart than a pie.
Vegan Peanut Butter and Jam Pie
- 408 g vegan cookies I used 28 McVitie's Digestives
- 140 g vegan butter melted
- 228 g vegan cream cheese plain
- 288 g (1 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) coconut cream only the cream part from a can of coconut cream (without water)
- 90 g medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 310 g (1 cup) strawberry jam
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) coconut cream only the cream part from a can of coconut cream (without water)
- 2 1/4 tsp powdered sugar
- 36 g (2 tbsp) smooth peanut butter melted
- 40 g (2 tbsp) strawberry jam
- 1 vegan cookie crushed
- Crush vegan cookies in a blender. Work in several batches so it's easier.
- Melt vegan butter over low heat. Pour it over crushed cookies and mix well together. (Note that the quantity of vegan butter can differ depending on what kind of cookies you use so perhaps add it slowly.)
- Line a 23 cm baking dish with parchment paper. Transfer the crust mixture to a baking dish and press the crust with your hands to the bottom and the sides of a baking dish.
- Put the crust in a refrigerator while you work on the filling.
- Put vegan cream cheese, peanut butter, coconut cream, medjool dates and vanilla in a blender. Mix together well.
- Divide the batter in two equal parts.
- Take crust out of the refrigerator. Pour one part of the filling over it and smooth the top with a back of the spoon.
- Put the pie in a freezer for 15 min.
- After 15 min take it out of the freezer and spread on top strawberry jam.
- On top of strawberry jam pour the second part of the filling.
- Return the pie to the freezer for 15 min.
- Put coconut cream and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Whisk with a hand mixer.
- Take pie out of the freezer and spread sweetened coconut cream on top (if it's too thick soften it a little bit over low heat so it's easier to spread it).
- Melt peanut butter over low heat. Transfer it to the piping bag and make a decoration on top of the pie.
- Transfer strawberry jam to the other piping bag and make decoration with that also.
- Crush vegan cookie (I used the same one as for the crust) with a back of a fork. Sprinkle crumbs on top of the pie.
- Put pie in a refrigerator for a couple of hours.