I love eating porridge for breakfast, it’s so filling, satisfying and delicious. It’s my favourite especially in the time of the year when the weather gets cold and my body craves food that can warm me up from inside. When I’m traveling and staying in hotels, I’m always so happy if they have an option to make me porridge with plant based milk. When I’m having breakfast in hotels I always go for peanut butter and banana, since it’s the most available option. Two alternatives that are also very delicious are vegan Nutella and banana or Biscoff spread and banana. At home I like to caramelize banana as that makes it more tasty.
To create creamy porridge I’m using soy milk. Some other plant based milks can be an option, like oat milk or rice milk. Cashew and macadamia milk do add some distinct flavour to the dish that I don’t like. You can cook porridge in plant based milk alone or combine it with water. I add one cup of water to one cup of soy milk. For the sweetener I’m using maple syrup. Adjust the sweetness to your taste. 1 tbsp is enough for me since the toppings brings additional sweetness. When choosing peanut butter for this meal I always go for Richer Roast Meridian if possible. It’s my favourite peanut butter because of the deeply roasted peanuts. If making this dish with store bought vegan Nutella, I always use Valsoia hazelnut chocolate spread. Or I make my homemade vegan Nutella.
Peanut Butter Caramelized Banana Porridge (or with Vegan Nutella, Biscoff Spread) (V, GF)
- 100 g gluten free porridge oats I used Nairns gluten free Scottish porridge oats
- 240 ml (1 cup) unsweetened soy milk
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or more if needed
- a drizzle of coconut oil
- 1 banana cut lengthwise
- 20 g peanut butter can substitute with Biscoff spread or vegan Nutella
- Put oats in a pot and pour over soy milk and water.
- Heat it over stove and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove it from the stove and mix in maple syrup. Taste and add 1 tsp of maple syrup more if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Heat a little bit of coconut oil on the pan and spread it evenly on the surface.
- Cut banana lengthwise and place it on the pan. Cook on medium heat for 2 min then carefully turn both halves around and cook on the other side one minute. Remove from heat and place it on top of porridge.
- Drizzle peanut butter on top of the porridge. If you desire you can put more than 20 grams of peanut butter. You can substitute peanut butter with Biscoff spread (melt it over low heat first) or vegan Nutella.
- Serve warm.