I love eating porridge for breakfast, it’s so filling, satisfying and delicious. It’s my favourite especially in the time of the year when the weather gets cold and my body craves food that can warm me up from inside. When I’m traveling and staying in hotels, I’m always so happy if they have an option to make me porridge with plant based milk.
The toppings that I love the most for the porridge are caramelised banana and peanut butter. Caramelising the banana makes it insanely delicious, it really transforms the taste of the plain banana. Besides peanut butter vegan Nutella and Biscoff spread are also amazing alternatives to drizzle on top of this creamy porridge.
To create creamy porridge I’m using soy milk. When choosing peanut butter for this meal I always go for Richer Roast Meridian if possible. It’s my favourite peanut butter because of the deeply roasted peanuts. If making this dish with store bought vegan Nutella, I always use Valsoia chocolate hazelnut spread. Or I make my homemade vegan Nutella.
More delicious bananas recipes:
- Açaí Bowl
- Breakfast Banana Split
- Biscoff Caramelised Banana Overnight Oats
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
Peanut Butter Caramelised Banana Porridge (or with Vegan Nutella, Biscoff Spread) (V, GF)
- 100 g gluten free porridge oats I used Nairns gluten free Scottish porridge oats
- 240 ml (1 cup) unsweetened soy milk
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or more if needed
- a drizzle of coconut oil
- 1 banana cut lengthwise
- 20 g peanut butter can substitute with Biscoff spread or vegan Nutella
- Put oats in a pot and pour over soy milk and water. If you want more creamy porridge, use more soy milk and less water.
- Heat the pot over stove, bring it to boil, then put the heat to low and cook until you get the desired porridge consistency.
- Remove it from the stove and mix in maple syrup. Taste and add 1 tsp of maple syrup more if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Heat a little bit of coconut oil on the pan and spread it evenly on the surface.
- Cut banana lengthwise and place it on the pan. Cook on medium heat for 2 min then carefully turn both halves around and cook on the other side one minute. Remove from heat and place it on top of porridge.
- Drizzle peanut butter on top of the porridge. If you desire you can put more than 20 grams of peanut butter. You can substitute peanut butter with Biscoff spread (melt it over low heat first) or vegan Nutella.
- Serve warm.