This scrambled tofu tries to imitate the eggy taste with vegan eggy sauce made of silken tofu and nutritional yeast. The vegan eggy sauce is mixed with crumbled firm tofu. Thanks to firm and silken tofu this dish is very high in protein. There are many vegetables that go together with it. I like to use broccoli, asparagus or spinach. Broccoli is my favourite while spinach is the most simple to prepare.
More delicious breakfast recipes with tofu:
- Vegan Omelette with Silken Tofu
- Vegan Bircher Muesli with Silken Tofu
- Baked Crepes with Vegan Cottage Cheese (veganske gratinirane skutine palačinke)
Scrambled Tofu (V, GF)
- 200 g firm tofu
Vegan eggy sauce:
- 170 g silken tofu
- heaped 4 tsp nutritional yeast I used fortified with B12
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coconut cream just cream from a can of coconut cream without the water
- 12 g cashews
- 8 g (1/2 tbsp) vegan plain cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/3 tsp vegan butter
Vegetable of choice
- 100 g frozen or fresh spinach
- 180 g broccoli chopped into bite size florets
- 10 ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- salt to taste
- 90 g asparagus chopped into bite size spears
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
Toppings and sides:
- cherry tomatoes halved
- avocado sliced
- toasted bread of choice I like oat bran bagel
- Crumble tofu with a fork and put it in a bowl.
- Put all ingredients for the vegan eggy sauce in a blender and mix well. Set aside.
- Melt vegan butter in a pan over medium heat and spread it around with a brush. When the pan is hot, add the crumbled tofu. Cook covered on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Mix several times in between. Add the vegan eggy sauce and mix together. Cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare your chosen vegetable according to the instructions for that vegetable. For spinach you don't have to do much, just put it in the pan with scrambled tofu in the last minute of cooking and let it get soft. For broccoli cut broccoli into small pieces, smaller the better. Then drizzle olive oil, sprinkle some salt over it and roast at 200 °C for 10 min. For asparagus cut it into smaller spears, pour olive oil over it and roast at 200 °C for 10 min. Add the chosen vegetable to the scrambled tofu towards the end of cooking.
- When scrambled tofu is done, transfer it (with the chosen vegetable already mixed in) to the plate.
- Serve with some chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado and toasted bread as a side.