This post may contain affiliate links.
It took me quite a while to get on board with scrambled tofu. I can’t believe how many times I said not to it at a hotel breakfast. Nowadays I love eating it. I like to make scrambled tofu that very gently imitates eggs. If you wish you can add some kala namak (black salt) which makes it much more eggy in taste. I don’t like to use it that much.
You can choose which vegetable to put in your tofu. I like to use broccoli, asparagus and spinach. Broccoli is my favourite but others are also very good. The spinach is the most simple to prepare.
Scrambled Tofu (V, GF)
- 200 g firm tofu
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coconut cream just the cream part from a can of coconut cream (without water)
- 10 g vegan cream cheese (plain)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (I used fortified with B12)
- a pinch of salt (or kala namak if you wish)
- 1/16 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 g vegan butter
Vegetable of choice
- 100 g frozen spinach
- 180 g broccoli chopped into bite size florets
- 10 ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- salt to taste
- 90 g asparagus chopped into bite size spears
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
Toppings and sides:
- cherry tomatoes halved
- avocado sliced
- toasted bread of choice (I like oat bran bagel)
- Crumble tofu with a fork and put it in a bowl.
- Melt coconut cream and vegan cream cheese over low heat. Pour it over tofu.
- Add soy milk, nutritional yeast, salt (or kala namak) and turmeric powder to the tofu mixture. Mix together.
- Melt vegan butter in a pan over high heat and add the tofu mixture. Cook covered on medium heat for a few minutes until it gets little dark yellow spots. Mix several times in between. If it gets too dry you can add additional soy milk.
- Prepare your chosen vegetable according to the instructions for that vegetable. For spinach you don't have to do much, just put it in the dish with tofu and let it get soft. For broccoli cut broccoli into small pieces, smaller the better. Then drizzle olive oil and sprinkle some salt over it and roast at 200 °C for 10 min. For asparagus cut it into smaller spears, pour olive oil over it and roast at 200 °C for 10 min. Add vegetable to the tofu towards the end of cooking.
- When scrambled tofu is done, transfer it (with the chosen vegetable already mixed in) to the plate.
- Arrange some chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado and toasted bread on the plate and serve.
Walking Through Lavender Fields is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Walking Through Lavender Fields will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I love and use through my affiliate links.