I love every bite of this pizza. The main ingredient in it is my vegan pesto which I raved about already in other posts. The taste of it is just superb. So I had to create a pizza that celebrates this wonderful taste.
I make my vegan pesto with fresh basil, roasted pine nuts, cashews and nutritional yeast. I generously spread this mixture over the pizza dough. For the toppings I went with cherry tomatoes, cashew parmesan, roasted pine nuts and fresh basil.
If you are craving pasta more than pizza, check my recipe for vegan pesto pasta. Whatever you decide to go with I’m sure you’ll be satisfied.
Vegan Pesto Pizza
- 250 g strong white flour
- 25 g semolina
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 g fresh yeast (3 g dried yeast)
- 20 ml (4 tsp) olive oil
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) water
- a little more than 1/2 of vegan pesto
- 100 g cherry tomatoes sliced thinly
- 10 g pine nuts roasted
- cashew parmesan recipe below
- fresh basil leaves
- 12 g cashews
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- a pinch of salt
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add semolina and salt. Mix together.
- Add olive oil and crumbled fresh yeast. Add water and mix with a spatula so that you get the dough. If needed use your hands to incorporate the flour. The dough should be quite wet and sticky.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours take the dough out and leave it on your kitchen counter for about an hour so it becomes warmer.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it a little bit until you get a smooth dough (for about 30s). Shape it into a ball.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape them into a ball.
- Put them on a lightly floured baking tray, cover them with a cloth and leave them to prove for another hour or hour and a half.
- Preheat the oven to maximum temperature (mine is 280 °C) 20 minutes before proofing is over.
- On a lightly floured surface shape the dough into a pizza shape disc.
- While your dough is proofing (in the last hour) prepare vegan pesto by following these instructions. You will need a little more than half of this recipe.
- Roast pine nuts for the topping at 180 °C for 5 min.
- Slice cherry tomatoes, prepare fresh basil leaves and crush ingredients for cashew parmesan in a food processor.
- Put the pizza dough without the topping on a baking tray. Bake it for 4 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven. Spread half of vegan pesto on top (leaving out the edges). Arrange sliced cherry tomatoes over the pesto.
- Return the pizza into the oven. Bake for another 2-2.5 minutes, carefully watching that the pizza doesn't get too burnt.
- Take the pizza out of the oven, sprinkle roasted pine nuts and cashew parmesan on top then decorate with some fresh basil leaves.
- Repeat the process with the second pizza.